Boris Johnson & Schools
NEU: “Shut Schools Now”!
2. Updated Advice & Guidance
3. Call A School Union Meeting!
Bailouts For People Not Big Business
Richard Branson, who has made vast profits from the privatisation of parts of the health service has already asked for a £7.5 billion bail out from the government. Similarly UK airline bosses are calling for an immediate multibillion pound emergency bail out to prevent their industry being wiped out by the Coronavirus. Trillions has been pumped into the banking system by the Federal Reserve.
Its people who desperately need a “bailout” not big business and the top 1%. Rents, mortgages and utility bills must be suspended. We need self-organisation from below. We must protect people before the economy.
Don’t; Go Out, Visit Families & Friends – But Children Should Go To School!?
The Imperial College report published last night, which is one of the governments main sources of scientific advice, stated that all 4 methods of social distancing including school closures were essential in slowing the spread and reducing strain on the NHS. It is clear that the Government is putting the economy before people.
The Government could massively enhance sick pay and give it instantly and automatically to all those who have to look after children, rather than sending them to grandparents, aunties and uncles. Key workers’ children could have special arrangements for their children worked out with the NEU and other key stakeholders. Boris met with ASCL & NAHT (HTs unions) yesterday but excluded the NEU, NASUWT, UNISON or GMB.
2. Updated Advice & Guidance
- if you have symptoms, stay at home for 7 days
- if you live with other people, all must stay at home for 14 days from the day the first person got symptoms
If this applies to you then it should not be treated as sickness absence and you should continue to receive full pay*. You do not need a GP certificate to cover this period of isolation. Staff who are self-isolating, may be asked to do work at home if possible e.g. a) You are well enough to do so b) You are not having to care for young child or sick partners / relatives.
*Ealing confirms this. Further; Your Terms & Conditions state this in the ‘Burgundy Book’ for Teachers & the ‘Green Book’ for support staff.
You Must Self Isolate for 12 Weeks If You Are In One Of These Groups Or Care For One of These Groups Below:
- pregnant women.
- chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis;
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure;
- chronic kidney disease;
- chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis;
- chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy;
- problems with their spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if they have had their spleen removed;
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy;
- being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above).
If this applies to you then it should not be treated as sickness absence and you should continue to receive full pay*. You do not need a GP certificate to cover this period of isolation. Staff who are self-isolating, may be asked to do work at home if possible e.g. a) You are well enough to do so b) you are not having to care for a young child or sick partners / relatives.
(The above should also applies to children of parents)
This advice comes from the Government
Schools must review and increase the frequency of cleaning and inspection of toilets. Toilets and washing facilities must always have sufficient soap and towels. Lunch and break time need to be increased to allow all students to wash properly.
Meetings All assemblies, parent meetings after school meetings need to be cancelled for the time being. Seating at lunch needs to be staggered where possible and additional spaces found to eat.
Cover & Class Sizes
Classes need to be sent home where a cover teacher cannot be found in primary schools. There are serious Health & Safety issues with large classes, thus no class must go over 30. In secondary schools certain year groups will need to be sent home.
SATs need to be abandoned and GCSEs & A- Level exams need to be postponed.
3. Call A School Union Meeting NOW Before Schools Are Shut
Key Additional Points To Be Raised:
- Agency staff should continue to be paid when school is closed
- No to class sizes increasing in the immediate future
- Schools, Unions & Ealing work together to ensure; 1) key workers are able to work when schools are shut 2) Children, those vulnerable and self isolating for 12 weeks are fed and looked after using volunteers and the school kitchen.
Please also see Kevin & Mary Letter To PM to Prime Minister from Kevin Courtney & Mary Bousted Joint NEU General Secretaries