We are facing a massive rise in racism in Britain and across the globe. The Italian election results worryingly reinforce these serious concerns. This is an international demonstration click here to see where.
Migrants and refugees are being scapegoated for the effects of austerity, while EU nationals are used as bargaining chips in Brexit negotiations.
The whipping up of anti-Muslim hysteria in the press has led to a dramatic rise in Islamophobic attacks in the wake of terror attacks in London and Manchester, with visible Muslim women the primary target.
Rampant institutional racism is being felt through a spate of deaths in police custody, the tragedy at Grenfell and systematic discrimination in employment and Hosuing.
Trump’s Muslim ban, his racist ‘wall’ project and equivocation over white supremacist and fascist marches have led to a climate of racism and fear across the US.
Meanwhile In Europe, the rise of the Freedom Party in Austria, Front National in France and AfD in Germany are signs of a resurgence of the far right which requires a serious and coordinated effort to turn back.
If we are to defeat the rise of racism, we need a united movement of everyone who opposes it. The #MarchAgainstRacism is a chance to bring that movement together and show that we will not be silent. In the face of this historic challenge we need to make 2018’s march the biggest yet.
• Diane Abbott MP, on the anti-racist alternative to the Tories’ damaging approach to migrants & refugees
• Gary Younge on Trump and the rise of the racist right
• Emma Dent Coad MP for Kensington, on why #Grenfell survivors need housing and justice now
• Claude Moraes MEP on the serious threat of the far-right in Europe
• Myriam Kane, NUS NEC on the role of students in the struggle against racism
• David Rosenberg, Jewish Socialist Group on the need for unity against racism, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism & the far right
• Talha Ahmad, Muslim Council of Britain on the shocking rise of Islamophobic hate crime
• Kevin Courtney, NEU Joint Gen Sec, on the vital role migrants play in the education system
• Roger McKenzie – UNISON Ass Gen Sec on defending the rights of migrant workers in public services
• Sabby Dhalu & Weyman Bennett, Co-Convenors, Stand Up To Racism on building a powerful movement against racism